How we help
Our AM Learning Service utilises our proven Total Learning Solution framework to develop the learning and culture-change attributes required to ensure that your people have the competences and confidence necessary to bring your AM System to life.
Make no mistake about it, the toughest element in your AM transformation will almost certainly be ‘the soft stuff’: helping staff move from their long established preferences and habits of staff to the best-practice standardised ways of working to deliver the benefits of your AM System.
Total Learning Solution
Asset Wisdom has world leading expertise in asset management education.
Our Total Learning Solution covers all activities needed to ensure that your staff are ready, committed, competent and confident to fully engage in the development and roll-out of your AM System.
In our view, the focus on learning should start at the very beginning of your journey.
Why? Because AM is not just a system, it’s a ‘way of thinking’.
If people believe in it, they’re far more likely to:
- Overcome their natural reluctance to ‘hold on’ to their tried and trusted ways and move to the standardised ways of working
- Develop, nurture and refine the system
- Stay with the organisation, seeking greater challenges and adding more value
- Speak highly of the changes within and outside the organisation.
If the ‘hearts and mind’ element isn’t properly addressed, the system will be seen by staff as some kind of ‘centralised intrusion’ that fails to properly appreciate the value of their knowledge and contribution.
Insert Total Learning Solution Diagram
The Total Learning Solution framework follows a 6-step journey:
- Steps 1-2 identify the nature of the challenge and the options for success
- Steps 3-5 covers the design, development and roll-out of the solution
- Step 6 covers activities for evaluating and refining actions.
We can help you navigate your way through any or all of the steps.
Link to IHEEM Article 3
Contact us to discuss how we can help.
Fit for Purpose Learning
Fit for purpose learning creates a culture of learning so that people want to receive and use the training they need..
The Learning Strategy fosters an openness to change, an openness to developing new competences and an openness to meeting the challenges that come along with the creation and implementation of the new AM System.
The idea of becoming ‘a learning organisation’ is, of course, not new and it’s well known that organisations with a supportive culture and systems are, generally speaking, great places to work.
Staff, being more engaged, are more creative, flexible and committed and, as such, tend to perform better and add greater value to their employers and clients.
We work with you to create the environment and learning practices that will enable your staff to become competent, capable and confident in putting your AM System into action efficiently and effectively.
To be fit for purpose, the solution needs to be appropriate to a company’s needs and character while being quick and economical to create and rollout.
We generally make extensive use of ‘generic’ materials such as proven transformation techniques and off-the-shelf training courses but customise them where this will increase uptake, relevance and effectiveness.
Customisation can be fast, effective and very economical. It typically involves incorporating branding, videos and industry-relevant images into learning materials. Done well, ‘generic’ materials, even with only a small amount of customisation, can often look as though they’ve be created specifically for the organisation.
We advocate extensive use of modern learning techniques reinforced by a more personal approach. Online learning, webinars and e-assessments, for example, can be far cheaper than traditional classroom approaches and, more importantly, inject the flexibility that is essential for learners to receive the same learning as and when is appropriate and practical given their day-job commitments.
Outputs will typically be of two kinds:
- Online: for the training of concepts, processes, models and principles. This will typically be e-learning as it ensures consistency of learning, can be done ‘anytime, anywhere’, is trackable and cost effective, especially when done globally. May also include webinars, e-classes and the like.
- Face to Face: for the reinforcement, exploration and application of the online learning. It will typically includes classroom-based learning, workshops, assignments and coaching. It also seeks to build a ‘community of practitioners’, involving everyone.
Though encouraging standard ways of working, it also calls for a culture that supports independent-minded thinking.
Attitudes towards oneself, colleagues and the company all need to be open to change.
Needs and Attributes
The learning solution needs to permeate the whole organisation, reaching all employees in accordance with their needs. From our experience organisations that have successfully implemented an efficient and effective learning environment have ensured it has the following key attributes:
- Facilitate consistency – to ensure that everyone is on the same page.
- Aid transferability – to encourage knowledge transfer from role to role across the organisation.
- Promote sustainability – Consistent application of learning in the workplace, (what you do every day).
- Scalable – allows for immediate or rapid growth across a geographically diverse or global organisation.
- Quality – assurance that all training is educationally sound and fit for purpose.
- Accessibility – provides the learner the ability to learn at their own pace and location whilst being responsive to differing cultural needs.
- Progressive – ensures the learning is linked to PDP as well as it application in the work environment.
We work with you to ensure these needs and attributes are considered and delivered.
At a base level, learning gives people the competence and skills needed to deliver the asset management system.
In addition to this base level, it gives staff confidence that they can work within the organisation’s preferred way and do so to a high standard.
This, especially when enough people are competent and confident, generates a feeling of empowerment and motivates staff to see the system get better and better and achieve more and more.
Learning is a critical enabler that ensures the asset management competence and skills are available to organisations to deliver the benefits of their asset management systems.
The broader benefits delivered to organisations adopting our approach include:
- A competent, motivated and empowered workforce – through total learning and culture change solutions
- Improvements in business performance – through greater flexibility, happier and higher performing staff.
- Competitive advantage – through staff with the competence and confidence to successful deliver your ISO 55000 asset management approach.
Don’t take our word for it. Improving the skills and capability of those that have gone through the training has resulted in significant benefit for Sodexo, increased competitive advantage, growth in existing and new contracts and staff retention.
Click here the read a case study of our work with Sodexo.