A list of all our online AM learning modules
- AW001 Introduction to Asset Management
- AW002 Introduction to ISO55000
- AW003 Benefits of Asset Management
- AW004 Risk and Risk Management
- AW005 Organisational Context and Stakeholder Expectations
- AW006 Scope of the Asset Management System
- AW007 Asset Management Policy, Strategy, Demand
- AW008 Asset Management Planning
- AW009 Asset Information
- AW010 Asset Management Decision Making
- AW011 Leadership, Organization and People
- AW012 Asset and Asset Management System Performance
- AW013 Life Cycle Activities (Part 1)
- AW014 Life Cycle Activities (Part 2)
AW001 Introduction to Asset Management
This module provides an introduction to asset management.
It highlights the principles, processes and benefits of good asset management, including the need for an asset management system, its main components and how they are applied. The module emphasizes the importance of informed decision-making throughout the life cycle of assets so that they deliver value in a safe, reliable and sustainable way. The value of the international asset management standard – ISO55000 – is highlighted.
- What asset management is
- What assets, asset systems and asset portfolios are
- Value obtainable from assets and their management
- The benefits of effective asset management.
AW002 Introduction to ISO55000
This module informs learners from a wide range of business sectors about ISO55000, its history, purpose, scope and the benefits available from its application.
- To understand the context and background to ISO55000
- To understand the purpose of ISO55000 and the scope of its application
- To understand the benefit of applying ISO55000 for you and/or your business
AW003 Benefits of Asset Management
This module enables the learner to understand the benefits of a consistent, integrated and whole life cycle approach to asset management. It covers the importance of good communication and how to recognize and handle some of the misunderstandings that are likely during planning and implementation.
- The main benefits of an asset management approach
- How to relate specific, appropriate benefits to different stakeholders and businesses
- The importance and role of communication and consultation in asset management implementation
- Recognise and handle some of the common misunderstandings and resistance to change brought about by asset management.
AW004 Risk and Risk Management
This module demonstrates how an understanding of risk and risk management are essential factors in asset management. It also gives an introduction to the closely related topics of resilience analysis, contingency planning and management of change.
- What risk is
- The risks at different stages in the asset life cycle
- What’s involved in risk management
- The stages involved in risk analysis
- The use of a risk matrix
- An asset’s criticality and how criticality is closely aligned with risk
- The hierarchy of options for controlling risk
- Resilience analysis and contingency planning
- Management of change within asset management.
AW005 Organisational Context and Stakeholder Expectations
This module explains how asset management needs to be aligned to ‘the big picture’, the organizational context, including the importance of understanding stakeholder needs and how they can be met.
- What organisational context means
- How internal and external constraints and opportunities influence the scope, design, operation and performance of an asset management system
- The importance of identifying stakeholders and their needs & expectations.
AW006 Scope of the Asset Management System
This module explains what an asset management system is and how it impacts the whole organization. It shows the scope, structure and main elements of a system and how this provides for the coordination, control and continual improvement of assets in line with the organizational plan. This includes highlighting the key factors and people needed for effective implementation across different environments.
- What an asset management system is and how it impacts the whole organization
- The scope, structure and main elements of an asset management system
- How the asset management system provides the framework for coordination, control and continual improvement in the management of assets in line with the organisational strategic plan
- Who and what is involved in implementing the asset management system.
AW007 Asset Management Policy, Strategy, Demand
This module explains the role of asset management policy, strategy, demand analysis & objective setting and how they provide the cornerstone of an effective asset management system. It covers the scope, structure and elements of each activity, explaining how they are informed by, and aligned to, the organization’s objectives and how they serve as the foundation for its asset management planning activities.
- What an asset management policy is
- What an asset management strategy and objectives are
- How the asset management policy, strategy and objectives are aligned, and are aligned with the organization’s objectives
- What demand analysis is
- How policy, strategy and objectives and demand analysis provide the foundation for the organization’s asset management plan
AW008 Asset Management Planning
This module explains the role of asset management planning in determining the organization’s asset management activities and budgetary considerations. It describes how the organization’s strategic planning framework and the role of sustainable development are used to develop an asset management plan that can be delivered within a changing economic, environmental and social context. This includes setting out the purpose and content of such plans.
- What strategic planning is in the context of developing an asset management plan
- What sustainable development is in the context of developing an asset management plan
- What an asset management plan is and how it is produced
AW009 Asset Information
This module focusses on the role of information within an organization’s asset management system. It identifies the core components of an effective asset information environment, including the information needs of internal and external stakeholders, and the ‘asset information systems’ needed to manage this information.
- The role of an Asset Information Strategy
- The importance of effective asset information management
- The role of asset information systems
- The role of data and information in asset management decision-making
AW010 Asset Management Decision Making
This module demonstrates how asset management decision-making is crucial to the development of robust asset management plans. It explains how all stages of the asset life cycle need to be modelled within a framework. The framework ensures a consistent approach to capital, operations and maintenance investment decision-making. The module also demonstrates the importance of a resourcing strategy to ensure the delivery of the asset management plan.
- The importance of a robust decision-making framework for asset intervention decisions and the optimization of asset management plans
- The principles, concepts, processes and tools that support risk-based decision-making
- The role that effective Life Cycle Costs and Value Realisation plays within this decision making framework
- The role that an optimized resourcing strategies can have in risk management and underpinning the delivery of asset management plans
- The process of optimizing shutdown or outage strategies in bundling asset interventions and sharing access, downtime or other overhead costs
AW011 Leadership, Organization and People
This module focuses on the importance of people for the delivery of effective asset management. It explains how good leadership and the building of an appropriate culture and supporting structures are central to asset management’s delivering organizational objectives. It also illustrates the importance of ensuring that the organization has the right competences for fulfilling its objectives.
- The importance of people in delivering effective asset management
- The importance of Leadership in helping shape an organization and culture and its ability to meets its asset management objectives
- The role that culture has in enabling an organization to deliver the organizational and asset management objectives
- The importance of organizational structure and clarity on roles and responsibilities
- How organizations identify any gaps between required and actual competence, and the steps available to close these gaps
AW012 Asset and Asset Management System Performance
This module explains the role of ‘asset health’ and ‘asset management system performance monitoring’ in supporting the delivery of an organization’s asset management objectives. It covers the importance of setting clear performance indicators and effective measurement processes, and of identifying non-conformance criteria and appropriate responses. It also emphasizes the importance of continual improvement in asset management.
- The importance of asset performance and health monitoring
- The importance of monitoring the performance of the asset management system and asset management activities
- The importance of aligning performance measures to the AM objectives
- The range and examples of some key performance indicators
- The need to define non-conformance or failure criteria for the measure and the need then to develop appropriate action plans and responses
- The importance of performance measures in the continual improvement
AW013 Life Cycle Activities (Part 1)
This module explains the key phases in an asset’s life cycle. This includes identification of need, creation or acquisition, utilization and maintenance and decommissioning and disposal. It looks at the integration of these activities to maximize value and at the role of planned interventions and actions to take in the event of failure and incidents. This module should be considered in conjunction with Life Cycle Activities Part 2 which covers enablers and disciplines used to support these topics.
- Asset Creation or Acquisition
- Asset Utilization or Operation
- Asset Care or Maintenance
- Asset improvement and life extension activities
- Asset Replacement
- Asset Decommissioning & Disposal
AW014 Life Cycle Activities (Part 2)
This module describes the key enabling actions that are required to support the effective management of an asset over its life. It covers considerations associated with design, legislation, configuration and resource management. This module should be considered in conjunction with Life Cycle Activities Part 1, which provides an overview of the key phases of an asset’s life, from creation and acquisition through to decommissioning and disposal.
- How technical standards are developed and used in the context of asset management, which includes how to identify and apply legal requirements
- How asset management requirements are managed during procurement and supply chain management
- How shutdowns, outages and resources are managed
- Principles for designing and configuring integrated systems that form part of systems engineering and how they are aligned with asset management
Download our AM Course Brochure